Monday, February 7, 2011

Food, Inc.

That movie was not only pretty gross, it was kind of sad.  Farmers are clearly being taken advantage of, not to mention all of the livestock.  The livestock is clearly mistreated, from before birth to their violent death.  Their parents are fed growth hormones which produce asymetrical animals built for human consumption.  They may not be able to walk, but if they could feed a family who will pay for them, who cares right?  As long as the food processing giants continue to be succesful with their current business plans, the farmers will continue to be forced to mass produce animals for human consumption.

Just seeing the process these animals go through to be slaughtered was pretty disturbing.  The meat processing plants didn't look sanitary at all.  And despite how much I was grossed out by the video, at the end of the day, there's really not much I can do.  See, I'm a college student living off no salary, and even less money.  When I go to the supermarket, there's one thing that determines what I buy; price.  If your price isn't the lowest, I'm not gonna buy it.  Now, I will spend money on fruits and vegetables over chips and other trans fat-filled foods, but even that has a negative impact when I'm buying grapes from Chile and coffee from Costa Rica.  The balance human diet demands food from all parts of the pyramid, which makes me want to buy fruit and vegetables when they're out of season.

Overall, even though the film told me there's something I can do as an individual to change our food processing and eating habits, I feel helpless.  Because I'm still gonna eat fruit in the winter, I'm still gonna buy cheaper meet since I can't afford to buy locally raised meat, and I'm still gonna go to Kroger over your local grocery store because that's the most convenient for my 'busy' life.

7 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same.

    I think being a college student gives us an "excuse" to continue with our lifestyles. It may not be a good enough excuse, but it makes us feel better. I mean, we are broke college students, how are we supposed to afford the "good" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty much the same way. I'm going to try to buy locally as much as I can now, but you're right that price and convenience often outweigh other factors. But I think being able to at least recognize where the stuff I buy is coming from is important too, even if it isn't the local stuff. I think if I hang on to that recognition then maybe later on when I can actually afford to completely shift my lifestyle I'll go through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so hard to shop for yourself thinking of what you have to pay and also buying the 'better food' because the animal wasn't killed in some massive slaughter house or buying local foods, but i think even if you can't do it all then maybe (especially) in spring go to the farmers market or some local store and buy the local things that are cheaper. If people buy as local as they can then that will increase the movement of local foods, which then makes it cheaper and cheaper the more people buy them. even if the best you can do it buying veggies in the summer as a local market because they are so cheap then, then hey thats something isn't, it's better than nothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most college students are in agreement about feeling helpless when it comes to buying groceries due to monetary reasons, but I also feel we use it as an excuse. "Well, I don't have the money, so why think about it?"

    The important factor should be that we understand the choice we are making and subsequent consequences. Even if we have to buy what is cheap, we should understand the system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As college students, we have a glimpse of what it is like to live as a poor family. When ones main goal is to fill their children's stomachs, sustainable living is not an issue. Personally, if I had kids to feed everyday, I would go for the cheapest, most filling food. When I was little I never went to bed hungry because my parents took care of me. I was fortunate enough to be well-fed but for many people across the country, it's not uncommon to live solely off packed food. In order for an entire nation to change eating habits, more has to be done to make healthy food affordable to the entire population. I just don't see this happening in the near future if at all, so what else are we to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about how hard it is to eat right being a college student. This movie made me 100% more conscious about what I eat but how can I afford to eat healthy and avoid the main stream market? I too only look at the price when I'm shopping and half the stuff I buy is frozen and perserved so who knows what's in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said Hallie. You may not be able to purchase the local and healthiest choices this season, but you can make the effort to buy them when they are available. You are still making a difference but in a smaller step. It goes back to what Tyler says, that each person can make a stand in hoping that we can get enough support to see a change in the world.

    ReplyDelete